Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Pooh Ponder

Poohs grand adventure the search for christopher robin special edition 20060428051327470 000

As I was reading the kids a bedtime story tonight, there was a little nugget of wisdom for Christopher Robin that left me pondering:

"'Pooh Bear,' he said, 'If there's ever a tomorrow when we're not together, there's something you must remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.'"

What wonderful advice for children and grownups alike.  When I think about all the things we fear and how debilitating those fears are, I think the great triumph of humanity is not that we walk upright--it is that we adapt so incredibly well.  We are so very good at adapting to our given situation.  When pushed by happenstance we are so good at finding our potential within.  If you read about past wars, you hear stories of human triumph.  Prisoners of war suffer torture and starvation and yet live to tell about it.  They live to experience the good once more.  Sometimes I think about what I would do if I ever lost my dear husband, God forbid, and as I ponder I remind myself that I would persevere.  And that is the point Christopher Robin is making.  If at first you think you cannot possibly survive, you cannot possibly go on, remember Christopher Robin's words, "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think."  This will carry you through.

No comments: