Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Icon of Death and Life

Here are the three Icon crosses that worked on during Lent for our God-children.  They are based upon the San Domiano Crucifix. I wanted to do this crucifix because it is my intention that our God-children have a set of religious items by adulthood that will aid them in their faith once they are grown.  I want them to have icons of Christ, Blessed Theotokos, guardian angel and a crucifix, a Bible and a catechism.

I am not a wood-worker.  I have no tools, so I could not create the shape of the San Domiano cross.  I also did not feel I have time to do the whole SDC image.  But, I do like this image of the crucifixion.  I like this image because Christ is both crucified and also appears alive--Resurrected.  We are the Church of the Risen Christ.  This is important.

I plan to write three more of this Crucifix for others.  It was surprisingly more difficult than I had hoped.  I thought I might be able to do these more quickly, but the process and dedication to an icon is always daunting.

Here is the visual journey of this Icon:

100_5736

100_5737

100_5790

100_5798

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

You are a wonderful Godmother. Mike and I try to be good godparents by giving religious gifts, too. A hand-made item like this is definitely impressive - and I would love for my children's godparents to be as thoughtful as you (which, I am not saying they aren't, but they have yet to receive any icons :)

Beautiful job Renee. Well worth your valuable time, as I know free time is hard to come by in our state in life!

Kayleen said...

You are a wonderful Godmother. Mike and I try to be good godparents by giving religious gifts, too. A hand-made item like this is definitely impressive - and I would love for my children's godparents to be as thoughtful as you (which, I am not saying they aren't, but they have yet to receive any icons :)

Beautiful job Renee. Well worth your valuable time, as I know free time is hard to come by in our state in life!