Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Icon Writing With Kids - Presentation of Our Lord Into the Temple

What a busy day.  Alex and I barely managed to squeeze in our Icon for today’s feast.  This is not something I would like to repeat.  One should take the time one needs to prayerfully relish the time writing an Icon.  Nonetheless, we found just enough time to complete the Icon for today’s feast.

It was revealed to the prophet Simeon by the Holy Spirit that he would see Christ, the Savior, in his lifetime.  When Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the Temple to make their offering on his behalf, Simeon took the Child in his arms and said, "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word; for mine eyes have seen thy salvation which thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to thy people Israel." Luke 2:22-40

presentation of Christ and Alex

presentation of Christ

Part of our rush today was that we had our regular morning activities followed by Liturgy at noon.  We had to run back to our house to pick up my husband and then hit the road to church.  But, I forgot our candles to be blessed!  As is the custom for this feast—Christ is the Light of the World.  I had even written myself a note not to forget them.  I was a little distracted by the –10o F weather, having to wait for Andrew to get ready, and the kids demanding juice and the like. Oi vey.  But, I guess I knew I was going to forget them and that’s why I wrote the note.  I also did not have time to go get bee’s wax and make our candles.  So here they are, our candles, unblessed.  Oh well, perhaps next year.

100_3669

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Now if you are really astute, you will have noticed the color of our kitchen wall above.  The color is called “Oolong Tea.”  Andrew and I like to call it “English Country House Green.”  But, in the wrong light Andrew and I teased each other that we had just painted our entire kitchen 1970’s avocado green.  To prove it is no where near avocado, I took a picture of this ripe avocado.

100_3651

The kitchen was almost yellow.  I started painting it yellow.  But then decided it was not right with the rest of our décor and the kitchen opens to the main room.  Kristiana will be getting a yellow bedroom whether she likes it or not.  I think she will like it, because I am going to paint a mural.  I will post more pictures of the kitchen when we finish all the decorating.  Until then…

4 comments:

priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

What a beautiful icon- great job Alex! :)

anne said...

I LOVE THAT GREEN!! :) I just painted a wall in my living room the color of the avocado, though--but I like that, too!

And I'm so proud of Alex and his icons :) Next time I come visit I'll take nice pics of them all so we can get prints--maybe make a book? That would be awesome (I'd get one!)

Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

I found your blog while looking for images of the icon of the Presentation. May I ask where you found the blank? I'd love for our kids to be able to write this icon in their activities this week (today, if possible, but I know this is an old post). Thank you!

Unknown said...

I draw the icons for these based on icons I find on the internet. But, I did create a step-by-step so your kids and you can try making one together.

http://theclaytonianchronicle.blogspot.com/2014/05/icon-writing-with-kids-tutorial.html