Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Icon Writing–The Creation of the Sun

Here is the Icon I have been working on for the past six weeks for our Byzantine church in Washington.  I feel relieved it is done.  I will not know what to do with my time now that I will not be using every spare moment to work on it.  I suppose I will read more and blog.

I hardly had enough time to complete this work.  I could have used another 20 hours to work on it.  All I can see are the mistakes.  However, I think I achieved what the Icon intends to convey.  Further, I prayed my prayers and then dipped the paintbrush into the paint.  I know this is the work of God.

It is 24 X 39 inches, which is quite a large icon. While I copied an existing Icon, I constructed the image myself instead of tracing…And now onto the rest of Creation.

100_4465

100_4463

100_4468100_4475

100_4597100_4619

100_4620

Sun Cre Crop

P.S. My sweet Icon protégé, Alex, kept asking if he could help. He really wanted to help badly. However, I explained to him that this is a grown-up Icon. He kept asking until it was almost finished and then he said, “Oh, I do not want to work on this one. I know it’s a grown up Icon now.”

2 comments:

anne said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! WOW, Renee!! that is stunning, simply and wonderfully beautiful! I am beyond impressed :) And I love that Alex is your helper--even if not for grown-up icons. Anytime he wants to write me one, I'm down :D

love you guys! miss you...

Kayleen said...

I am so impressed! It is just lovely. I love the detail in the sun. Honestly, I have not seen this icon before (I know, I'm still a baby Byzantine) Great job. May God bless you for all the hard work and worry you put into this icon.

By the way, I hope one day you can come over the state to St. John's for a visit. That would be awesome :)