Saturday, October 15, 2011

2. Do Not Store Up For Yourselves Treasures On Earth

2. “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
Wow, Matthew 6 is such a treasure trove.  It's where we also are given the Lord's Prayer.  Lately, the above teaching has sunken to the bottom of my heart and I feel it there weighing me down heavily.  I have been trying to keep the reigns on our budget and tidy up our finances, as I do every fall.  My husband and I have always paid our bills and on time, but we have had trouble saving and keeping control of debt.  I mean five years of graduate school will do that to you.  We are always playing catch-up.  We know what we need to do.  It is the execution that we struggle with.  But, I have done a lot of searching for guidance in the past month and  I know what I treasure--God, His blessings and Eastern Christian praise and worship of God--then why cannot I not put that first?

St Basil the Great

No comments: