Friday, February 13, 2015

She's Found Her Calling

When our son, Alex, played on a little league t-ball team years ago Annie was a mere one years old.  But she kept running onto the field trying to get into the game.  Now Annie is four years old and she is finally old enough to play t-ball.  I signed her up weeks ago and she has been asking daily, "Mommy, when I go play t-ball?"

Today was her first practice.  She hit balls from the tee; practiced catching and throwing; and ran the bases with speed.

She was quiet, reflective, taking it all in, with a smile.  You could see she was concentrating on learning the game.

At the end of practice she did not want to leave.  She said, "Mommy, why do those mens get to stay?"

I explained that they were the coaches and they were packing up.  She said, "OH, I want to be the coach.  I want to stay."  Then a little bit farther down the road she said, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a girl coach."

I was so happy, and proud for Annie.  She said it with convection.  "I'm going to be a girl coach."  I knew she was an athlete in her heart.




1 comment:

Kayleen said...

Wow, what a girl. I love this post.