Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer ‘Shroom Addiction

100_4916

I went to the gym one day this summer and went to the first elliptical that had the TV turned on.  It was just easier to get started without messing with any buttons.  The TV was on the Food Network.  I thought, what a novel idea/bad idea.  Who watches the Food Network while working out?  I mean making yourself hungry while you workout seems to be the antithesis of what you would want.  But, I was short on time and did not want to waste time channel surfing. 

The show of the hour was Giada at Home.  She said that she was going to make her favorite salad that she fell in love with while she lived in Paris.  She went to a local café and ate it every day.  The Parisians are notorious for their simple salads.  The salad looked as though it would be a great cool summer salad and my in-laws were on a mushroom kick, so I wanted to try it.  I made a few modifications and now I am addicted.  I can see how Giada could eat it every day of the week. Here is the salad recipe:

Summer ‘Shroom Salad

8 oz or more of white button mushrooms, sliced
3 Tb lemon juice
2 Tb White wine vinegar
2 Tb Extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
a big handful of fresh Italian parsley, minced
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Wash and slice mushrooms (do not use pre-sliced mushrooms-too thick and tough).  Put the mushrooms in a medium bowl. Add vinegar, lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Then mince parsely and add it to the bowl.  Finally add parmesan and toss the salad until every mushroom is coated in dressing.  Serve immediately.  The mushrooms will marinate and brown if you keep it over night, but they are still tasty.

Now go get addicted to ‘shrooms.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

hmmmm.....I am going to try this. Mushrooms were on sale at Target (of all places)

I am already addicted to mushrooms. My favorite right now is frying them up in butter and adding them to scrambled eggs.