Friday, February 10, 2012

Ode to Andrew

I bought Andrew a piano.  Happy Valentine's Day, Honey.

This is my expression of love to you.  I saw a need in your life and I pursued it.

I desired to hear the beautiful music l I know plays within you at all times.

Play on, Andrew.  Play out loud.

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing…" 
John Keats

Andrew played piano for nine years and finally called it quits when life got serious in college.  I mean, who has time for playing piano when you are courting a beautiful woman, double majoring, being a resident assistant and running for student body president?  Andrew's piano talent was never a big part of our relationship.  He was always too embarrassed to play in front of me.  But, I knew classical music was a big part of his life.  He gave me an appreciation for the great composers that I did not have before I knew him.

He did not really get to play again, except occasionally, for another eight years.  Every time we visit his parents in Washington, Andrew gets a little time to play on their piano.  This last visit Andrew seemed to rifle through his old piano music and play a little bit more than previous visits.  I told him it was time that we buy our own piano.  We have finally settled in a house.  We have space and soon our children would also be old enough for lessons.  Andrew did not believe me because he knows how much pianos cost.  I was determined though to find something we could afford.

I have been checking Craigslist for pianos for the last year.  Finally, I found one worth looking at.  It was in our area too.  Andrew went and played it and said, yes.  We brought it home and had it tuned.  It's not a terribly good piano.  But it will do in the mean time.  Most importantly, Andrew gets to play and relax as he works out his fingering.  I thought that this would be a perfect release after work.  I was right.

Andrew has been practicing after dinner.   It's amazing how the children suddenly all sit and imaginatively play when the piano music begins.  Here is Andrew on the piano right after we had it tuned.  In time, it will all come back to him. I am sure he will be embarrassed to know I posted him fiddling. But I love to hear him practice.

I think this piece is the perfect expression of why Andrew needs a piano.  This is the musical expression of what is going on in his head at all times. (Bach - Prelude & Fugue in C minor.  First part is the Prelude and the second part is the Fugue)

This piece is just beautiful and we both love it.

No comments: