Friday, April 2, 2010

Great and Holy Thursday and Good Friday

In Easter basket making news…on Thursday I made baked cheese.  It’s a sweet, egg and curd cheese baked in the oven. It turned out nice.

100_1993

On Good Friday we had a quiet day and baked the Paska bread.  It is also sweet and eggy.  I think it is by far the most labor intensive part of the Easter basket.  It takes hours to make, standing on one’s feet and there is lots of kneading.  It turned out a little puffier and browner than I would like, but we sampled a small roll made from the dough and it should still be tasty.

100_1997

Now for my lament.  I have the most horribly behaved children in all of our church.  They cannot sit still or listen.  They are noisy, squirmy and prone to fits.  They often are taken out for talking to and spanks and nothing seems to work.  We parents, simply sit, near tears, clutching the writhing children, wondering what we have done wrong.  Short of strapping them to a chair one hour each day and making them watch Mass on EWTN, I do not know what to do.  Is this why so many churches have nurseries?  Why do other children their age at our church seem to behave?  We feel like unholy parents.

100_1951 100_1950

3 comments:

Michelle M. said...

The bread looks beautiful!

I can completely relate to what you are saying about your children! Ours are the same way. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I really don't. Our church doesn't have pews, so that makes it very difficult to keep our energetic children in line. It helps to bring something little and quiet for them to do: books, coloring pages, a small toy. But with how long our services are, they do get bored. I hope this weekend goes well for you!

Kayleen said...

Oh dear. We feel your pain, too. Though we only have one, it has been tricky lately as she's walking now and wants to be busy busy busy. You know better than to say you are unholy parents!!! God sees your efforts and I bet he's far more pleased with you for bringing them to His house than displeased with the fact that they are noisy! Hang in there. I don't have any tips for you either except to try to keep heart. One day when we are old and gray and all is quiet, we'll miss these days, I'm sure.

anne said...

Knowing your mad mothering skills, Renee Dear :) you'll have your kids in shape for church in no time! And in the meantime, they're pretty darn cute ;)

Your Pascha looks beautiful. I can't wait to make mine this week. Give me a call sometime in the afternoon! miss you! God bless!